Watch Your Baby's Signs of Hunger
Although Babywise says to feed a hungry baby, it usually instructs parents to observe a time interval between feedings, or a certain order of events, such as only feeding the baby after she wakes up. There's another way to tell that your baby is hungry. You can watch your baby for her own signs of hunger.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends watching for the following early signs or cues by which your baby lets you know when she's hungry.
- Small movements as she starts to awaken
- Whimpering or lip-smacking
- Pulling up arms or legs toward her middle
- Stretching or yawning
- Waking and looking alert
- Putting hands toward her mouth
- Making sucking motions
- Moving fists to her mouth
- Becoming more active
- Nuzzling against your breast
For more information, please refer to the AAP's Making Sure Your Baby is Getting Enough Milk